Project Jenova
sai

Howdy PARTNER

I think there are economic and waste-disposal problems with relying on mass nuclear power for the majority of the world's power, but its certainly an important stopgap measure between coal and wind/solar. Ibthink the reaction to the disaster has been overplayed. The lesson here isn't "nuclear is bad" it's "don't build nuclear plants on friggin fault lines, or in areas vulnerable to tsunamis, or tornados."

I can't believe we haven't found SOME use for the waste produced by those things. We know about chemistry and all that, is it impossible to convert that shit into something useful?

And why don't we have a canon to launch that shit into the sun if we can't?

edit: oh also school finally sent me that email

Moving out on April 1st is confirmed. Woohoo!

My brother moved back in from being 500 or so miles away, and it's good to hear his voice again, I almost missed him.

Back to modeling dead space bullet trains.

I think there are economic and waste-disposal problems with relying on mass nuclear power for the majority of the world's power, but its certainly an important stopgap measure between coal and wind/solar. Ibthink the reaction to the disaster has been overplayed. The lesson here isn't "nuclear is bad" it's "don't build nuclear plants on friggin fault lines, or in areas vulnerable to tsunamis, or tornados."

Yes, but the fact that it can happen will freak people out. And it should, a nuclear accident is by far the worst thing you could be involved in. There are plenty of horror stories about what happens to the human body in those situations, and it's safe to say no one wants that happening to them. I know for a fact that US plants are safer than that, and that new designs also way safer, but there's always a worst case scenario, and in this case it happened.

No matter how great a solution it is for green energy, nuclear power is ultimately at the mercy of public opinion, something that has been staunchly opposed since Three Mile Island and will only be reinforced.

I can't believe we haven't found SOME use for the waste produced by those things. We know about chemistry and all that, is it impossible to convert that shit into something useful?

And why don't we have a canon to launch that shit into the sun if we can't?

It is possible, although not easy, to recycle nuclear waste. France and several other countries do it, I think Japan does but I'm not sure if it's on the same scale as France. Recycling would reduce the incredible mountains of waste to tiny pellets of hot actinides that burn out in 300 years or so vs the transuranic-laden stuff we have now that burns for tens of thousands of years.

There's no recycling in the US because people got spooked by terrorism in the 70s and the Carter administration banned it. Reagan undid that, but no one is willing to step up to make the huge investment necessary just for the government to make it illegal again. I (and every other person in the know) agrees, it's the absolute best solution, but politics and economics are keeping everyone from budging.

As for launching it into the sun, just look up success rates on rocket launches. Fukushima is bad enough, what if it was falling from the sky?

Woke up feeling like a million bucks today, and it's 70-something outside. I feel like Superman absorbing the Sun's rays and growing stronger.

It's too suspicious. My guard is up.

As for launching it into the sun, just look up success rates on rocket launches. Fukushima is bad enough, what if it was falling from the sky?

Well I mean more like a mass driver than a rocket.

But hey, even more reason to put money back into the space program.

Also if the shit we use now burns for thousands of years then how do we get waste rods?

Burn was not the right thing to say, they're just hot. Hot enough to need cooling, but not hot enough to produce power economically.

In the five years I had my old iPod, I never once had to replace until it broke of my own accord. In the three months I've had this iPod I've had to replace it twice. Apple, seriously, congratulations. Congratulations on figuring out how to make your products progressively more faulty and yet make more money at the same time. Really living the American dream there, Steve Jobs.

well my point was more if they last that long then why do we even have waste rods instead of just leaving them in the reactor for a few thousand years

Anyways I feel pretty good right now. My back hurts, I'm hungry, and I spent two hours working on my book instead of studying for a test at 6 (in psychology, it'll be easy but I haven't started studying at all and it's in three hours), but I still feel good. Mostly because I really improved my story, and because the psych test doesn't look too complicated.

Also that insane assignment for Careers in Psychology? I got the grade back. I saw "50" and nearly shat myself before I saw "out of 50." So I did really good.

well my point was more if they last that long then why do we even have waste rods instead of just leaving them in the reactor for a few thousand years

The heat for the reactor is created through fission, and after a couple of years the fuel doesn't have enough U235 to maintain fission. It's still hot due to the decay of fission products, but it's not hot enough to produce power economically, like I said. Trust me, if there were a way to make power out of the spent fuel, they would be using it.

Also, it's only really hot for a few years, which is how long they leave it in the spent fuel pool. After that, it's cool enough to put into concrete casks indefinitely. It still produces heat for tens of thousands of years, but nothing significant.

Got out of the shower. Made hot chocolate in the nude. Put my pyjamas on.

Took them back off.

Fuck clothes, man.

So among western animation, game art, and live models, I can now add chinese cartoons to my list of things I can draw freehand just by looking at it.

I have this project for school where we have to take any movie of our choosing, and design a poster for it. Well originally I was going to do X-Men but I had no drive for it and the preliminary sketch ended up not even half-done and looking like crap, and my instructor chews me out on it when he sees it.

So later today I'm playing on my DS and a really good concept hits me. I'd just thought of a cool poster design for the first Pokemon movie. For a total lack of any other decent ideas, I finish the concept in my head, and start looking for artwork to sketch out the poster.

Turns out I was able to re-produce official artwork of Ash, Mew, and Mewtwo VERY accurately, and my design looks (to me, anyway) like a really good design. I just hope my teacher doesn't question the hell out of me for choosing Pokemon of all things, since he's probably expecting posters of live action movies (but the assignment never said anything about what kind of movie to do).

So yeah, I have an awesome sketch for a Pokemon poster. Go me.

Oh and one of these days I'm going to create a thread in the Creative Works for my graphic design stuff.

After unplugging my internet and doing a dozen other things for most of the day I finally got down to working on what I was planning to do over all of break. It's interesting to do now that it's a challenging problem rather than a dreaded mystery but I wish I'd have started sooner. Like 5 months sooner.

Looking up the news fills me with a sense of dread as well, although I'm not quite as hysterical as I was on Tuesday. It doesn't help that I've been getting calls from family with half-sincere jabs about what I'm going to do now.

As my body grows stronger my eyes only grow weaker. Glasses aren't so bad but WE HAD A BEAUTIFUL THING GOING, EYES. WHAT HAPPEN?

also: dat ass

This ass? 183248_10100278951495898_13754234_58607924_550792_n.jpg

Man, I didn't even get drunk today. I didn't go to this one guy's birthday house party, either. I probably should've. I was at least going to drink this can of Guinness in the house, but nope.

183248_10100278951495898_13754234_58607924_550792_n.jpg

10128_125553438521_600348521_2350279_3485255_n.jpg

made some shepherd's pie. I don't think I can justify being too lazy to cook anymore, no instant food could compare to this.

Also got to talk to my Japanese friend today, very happy to hear all his folks are fine.