Project Jenova
Sign in to follow this  
Toki

Food.

Crafted lunch for me and the ladyfriend today. An open face sandwich consisting of a multi-grain bread I picked up from a fantastic local bakery, toasted in my broiler till nice and topped it with a grainy dijon mustard, arugula, fuji apple slices and brie, then stuck it back in the broiler until the brie was nice and melted. Side of roasted orange cauliflower tossed in oil, salt, fresh sage and cardamom, as well as roasted baby purple potatoes, smashed and pan fried. The sides were quite nice, but the sandwich was phenomenal, and I would highly recommend it.

Today I cooked an egg over easy, dunked it in pancake batter and fried it, keeping the yolk unbroken and runny through the whole process. Put it on a bed of bacon with some hot syrup. Omnomnomfatkidbreakfast.

first time cooking with butternut (or any kind of squash)

BJYCEwC.jpg

there's bacon mixed into the squash, which was cooked in duck fat, and the rice is flavored with chicken stock + the roasted seeds from the squash

the tea is a black tea flavored with cardamom, ginger, and cornflower. Full October mode engaged.

Eating this right now. Husk is a little bit tough, and hasn't absorbed as much flavor as I would have liked (I tried to fry it in garlic). Probably should have cooked it for a bit longer.

Wait how did you prepare the squash exactly?

Also I got one of those Instagram kajiggers. I periodically post foods on it. _andhrimnir_

I cut it open, steamed it, scooped out the flesh, then:

1. cooked the husk in seasoned oil (was hoping it would crisp a little bit, and I don't have an oven)

2. cooked the flesh on a pan in some duck fat

• Downvote 1

^ Tried making another one of those for my girlfriend and it turned out like charcoal. Goddamnit. Maybe I should have oiled the pan more, or used lower heat.

I bought some plantains. Not bad. Taste like bananas (maybe a little less sweet, I don't eat bananas often), but much firmer. I fried them up and had them with chilli. Similar to sweet potatoes, really, but chewier and possibly a bit sweeter (at least the black plantains).

Lighting on this sucks but steamed meat buns and stir fried rice

ykG3rUI.jpg

Rice is stir fried with fish sauce/soy sauce, cauliflower, green beans, onions and leeks

• Upvote 1

I keep buying eggplant, but I always just end up making the same recipe with it:

pHvHCSp.jpg

mQubVlt.jpg

Eggplant and tomatoes layered in a pot in tomato sauce to steam/boil for a while. Then I add in the bacon bits (usually I use merguez but bacon bits works pretty well it turns out), and put a mixture of polenta and cheese on top.

• Upvote 2

I should just start taking pictures of every galley meal I eat, and drive the board into a deep depression. That looks good, and I really miss cooking.

Thai-inspired cooking week is in session:

xDvT6HI.jpg

feLlr36.jpg

Soup is coconut milk + water flavored with spring onions, fish sauce, lime juice, tamarind paste, ginger, galangal, chili, and cilantro. Other dish is:

Noodles: Cold soy bean noodles, mixed with bell pepper peel, spring onion and cilantro, and a mixture of fish sauce, lime juice and chili paste.

Chicken: Pan fried till crispy in a marinade made from soy, honey, ginger, shallots, apple cider vinegar, and sesame oil.

Sauce: Peanut butter, toasted peanuts, coconut milk, soy, sugar.

fuck vaguely thai week, it's now vaguely mexican week

gettin really good at homemade corn tortillas

corn is hominy (I think - the bag is unlabeled), which I can miraculously buy around here

yFjZCDD.jpg

listen, if diss gets his own private thread to jerk off in, so do I

That definitely isn't any hominy I've ever seen. Hominy is white and huge.

What's that brown stuff? Mole? Chocolate? Doodoo? Nutella?

"molé", yeah. Not as elaborate as the real thing, good for dipping the chicken in.

• Upvote 1

I didn't take any pictures, but this is a recipe for plantain soup that I made up and tried this morning for breakfast. Really good but really rich, just make a small bowl of it and have it with some bread or something. This recipe is for one serving.

1. Chop up half a yellow plantain, two or three little baby potatoes, and a spring onion. Grate a small carrot. Put into a pot with a small amount of oil to pre-cook on medium heat.

2. After a few minutes, drop the heat to low and add a bowl of water. Cover the pot and allow the plantain and potatoes to cook. Don't use too much water - the soup is too rich to eat in large amounts.

3. Mash the plantain down with a spoon until there's no more chunks. Leave the potato whole. Continue cooking on low heat to break down the plantain further while adding chicken or vegetable stock, turmeric, and ground cumin to taste (all in small doses - it's there to balance out the plantain, not overpower it). Add in also a small amount of heat, just enough to tingle very slightly, not enough to produce a real burn.

4. Once the soup gets all homogeneous and creamy, stir in some cilantro and pour into a bowl immediately. Crumble feta on top. The feta is non optional. It's not just a fancy garnish, it's the difference between a delicious soup and a bowl of overpowering sweetness.

Girlfriend was over for a day and a half. I made lunch, dinner and breakfast, in that order.

Quiche, made on a stove like my pizzas, by wrapping an omelette in dough. Contents are bell pepper, red onion, chinese cabbage, cilantro, feta, sliced garlic, fresh chili pepper, cumin seeds, and turmeric. Green stuff is guacamole.

2NEuwP1.jpg

Garlic soup and cordon bleu.

Hpb24UP.jpg

Blueberry pancakes.

dLoFTwl.jpg

• Upvote 3

This picture doesn't really show off the fries but then they're fries, what do you want:

xvywrZ6.jpg

This is what Americans eat all the time, right???

HFLSQjQ.jpg

• Upvote 2