Project Jenova
Sign in to follow this  
noodles

Image Thread

You are correct sir. Also fun in this picture are the giant elongated nipples on the girl on the right, kind of sloppily blurred out as well.

I want to hug her ._.

also yeah this is what I came to this thread to post in the first place:

Rhyxu.png

BROKE THE RULES

I expect a ban

also that joke is stupid

motion carried

i hope you think about what you did jack during your half-minute forced vaction without pay

Qbfbt.png

I know a lot of us probably check XKCD at least semi-regularly, but I thought this deserved to be posted because ugh I have had this problem so often in education and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Fuck off with your analogies and just give me the raw information, some of us would rather not sacrifice understanding for the sake of making things easier to visualize.

It's why I struggled with electricity in middle school. All that worthless bullshit they told us about how it was like water in a pipe and voltage was the pressure and amperage was the flow speed, and years later I see the literal description of what it is and understand it in an instant.

analogies are only useful to people who already know what they're talking about

• Upvote 1

lol xkcd

I don't think that's the point of the comic at all. My understanding is that the student is misunderstanding a fairly basic explanation for general relativity. If someone gave you the wave equations I doubt you would be able to instantly understand quantum physics unless you're some kind of savant. Analogies are usually very helpful because once you get past basic stuff like mechanics and E&M, math and physics are not at all intuitive.

and quit breakin the rules you guys GEEZ

no the point of the comic is clearly about how dumb people expect all of physics to be intuitive and carlsaganey and refuse to accept that sometimes it just comes down to math, but it still raises the issue

and I couldn't understand quantum mechanics just by looking at the equations obviously, I'd also have to see the experiments, experimental data and concrete physical consequences to be able to understand it (not to mention have already understood all the other areas of physics leading up to quantum mechanics), but I still wouldn't want someone to just tell me "okay so there's this cat..."

an analogy might help, but only as a footnote to a literal explanation