Project Jenova
Sign in to follow this  
ɹ�z�ן

Neptune's Pride

I went ahead and finally got a key for this. I set up a game. If you want to play go ahead and join, password is

pjseed

. Its a pretty simple 4x strategy game that is played real time over a stretch of days, so you're just logging in every now and again to check orders. Good fun.

GAME LINK

Oh I'll probably give this a day or two before I start so everyone can join, there's twelve open slots.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

UNFORSEEN CIRCUMSTANCE: apparently if we start with empty slots AI will fill them and can't be turned off. I remade the game for five players, same password, now in "dark mode," you can only see as far as you can scan. The game will auto start when all slots are filled so gogogogo.

http://triton.ironhelmet.com/game/4977310316888064

note: certain features don't seem to work with Firefox. Notably, when you set orders for a carrier to be executed automatically when it arrives at a waypoint, Firefox doesn't save the orders properly. It works fine under chrome, though.

OKAY FUCK now that I'm not busy, here's all the various rules we can play with:

Stars for victory: 22%, 33%, 50%, 66% (we played 66% last time)

Formal Alliances: Yes or No

Build Warpgates: No, Cheap, Expensive (we played cheap)

Random Warpgates: None, Rare, Common (we played none I think?)

Dark Galaxy: At start only, Yes, No (fog of war)

Galaxy Type: Random Hex, Circular (we played random hex last time)

Star Scatter: Random Scatter, Twin Ring

(We played random scatter last time, "The stars that suround each players home star can be scattered randomly, or arranged uniformly. When arranged in a twin ring formation, the stars of each ring will have a fixed resource value. 1/3 of stars in the inner ring, and 2/3 in the outer ring.")

Stars per Player: 8, 16, 24, 32 (I think we played 24 last time).

Starting Distance: Close, Medium, Far (determines length of spawn from other players, we played Medium last time)

Resources: Scarce, Standard, Plentiful (We played standard)

Production Ticks: Scales in increments of two from 16-32. "Set the number of ticks between each galactic cycle. Normally a tick is 1 hour, so a production every 24 ticks will be once a day. Reduce the number of ticks between productions to be paid more often."

Starting Stars: 1-10 (we started with 6)

Starting Cash: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 (we started with $500)

Starting Ships 1, 10, 50, 100 at each Starting Star (we played 10)

Starting Infrastructure: 0, 5, 10, 20, 30 for Econ/Industry, 0-4 Science on Home Start only. We played 5-5-1 before.

Development Costs: Cheap, Standard, Expensive for each type of infrastructure. (we played standard)

Trade Costs: $5/lvl, $15/lvl, $25/lvl, $50/lvl (we played $15)

Trade Scanning: Trade with everyone, or only people you can see

Starting Tech: 1-16 available on all tech. (we started all 1's)

Research Costs: "You can configure how much a new tech level costs to develop, or even disable a field of research.

Cheap technology costs 72 x the current level to unlock the next level. Normal is 144 and Expensive is 216." Ranges from Can't Research to Crazy Expensive.

There we go. Let's figure out how we want this next game to go and I'll make it happen. Also check this out: http://forum.ironhelmet.com/t/new-rules-for-combat-for-ships-in-formal-alliances/4305

Everything seemed fine last time, although we could try playing with alliances and possibly lower the production ticks to 18. I'm curious about activating "only trade with people you can see", although it might choke strategy, especially if anyone gets stuck behind someone else, like Sai last time.

Warpgates seemed to add a lot of strategic flexibility last time. I'd be against removing them. Maybe they could be more expensive, though.

And I personally liked the totally dark galaxy.

Yeah I dig the full fog of war. Makes for a slow and terse start, and the possibility of being completely isolated for a while (me and sai), but that's cool by me. I can also settle for having the warpgates set to expensive. Because seriously once I picked Tai off and had all of his economy, building warp gates at whim to completely and utterly quash any attack was trivial. Wherever I needed my deathball to be, a couple hundred bucks and it was there in 3 hours. It would have taken all three of you hitting me in different directions to get me out of defensive position. But if you guys don't want to change that at all, suits me.

I'd be okay with making warp gates expensive.

I hate the fog of war just on principle. How is it that a spacefaring civilization can't see nearby stars? And how is it that losing that star makes it invisible again? Do stars move around a lot in this universe? Is there no way to be able to see all stars without seeing who controls them?

I'd like to try a game without dark galaxy just to see how that changes the dynamic. But if everyone else likes it I'm okay with keeping it.