Project Jenova
Sign in to follow this  
Gaiajack

LINK MOUND of Tales of Interest or whatever

We should just go to a lottery system. Like the short story, except instead of stoning people to death we leave them locked in a room with the cast of Jersey Shore until they die.

We should just go to a lottery system. Like the short story, except instead of stoning people to death we leave them locked in a room with the cast of Jersey Shore until they die.

Well, then they'll just eat the cast of Jersey Shore for sustenance. And then we'd need to come up with a new punishment.

green tech stories are some of the worst pie in the sky BS I have ever seen

The bio-oil stuff is pretty cool, although we've been hearing about it nonstop for ages now so it's not exactly a thrilling discovery. But reading about things like giant tree-shaped air scrubbers made of recycled bottles, based on the human lung and with goddamn seesaw "kinetic energy power stations", it's nauseatingly oversold. Can't we just tackle the engineering challenge of mass-producing CO2 scrubbers without having to splatter it in pretty colors and silly symbolism?

• Upvote 1

green tech stories are some of the worst pie in the sky BS I have ever seen

The bio-oil stuff is pretty cool, although we've been hearing about it nonstop for ages now so it's not exactly a thrilling discovery. But reading about things like giant tree-shaped air scrubbers made of recycled bottles, based on the human lung and with goddamn seesaw "kinetic energy power stations", it's nauseatingly oversold. Can't we just tackle the engineering challenge of mass-producing CO2 scrubbers without having to splatter it in pretty colors and silly symbolism?

Honestly I think they look pretty cool.

And pretty much what KR said. People wouldn't support them if they were ugly as sin. Seriously, I think the one argument I've heard against off-shore windmills is that they wouldn't look good.

Well the tree thing is alright, I wouldn't mind it being a giant brick of CO2 clensing insanity, but as long as it's not something like the combine hug tower.

Also that seesaw idea was kinda innovative and I liked that, kids can make some electricity with their non-sensical energy now.

• Downvote 1

Honestly I think they look pretty cool.

And pretty much what KR said. People wouldn't support them if they were ugly as sin. Seriously, I think the one argument I've heard against off-shore windmills is that they wouldn't look good.

yes okay but meanwhile they're wasting huge amounts of time, money and energy on the design features, thus reducing the number of them that can be produced

those trees are a cute novelty, nothing more

it's not really a see-saw

"In addition to their air-cleansing abilities, TREEPODS will also include solar energy panels and will harvest kinetic energy through an interactive seesaw that visitors can play with at the TREEPOD’s base. As passersby play on the seesaws they power displays that explain the TREEPODS’ de-carbonization process."

It reminds me of those "kid-friendly" water pumps installed in Africa that looked like playground installations. Everyone loved the idea except the Africans, who had to spend twice as much time spinning a giant rainbow wheel instead of using a simple pump because the kids stopped caring about it almost immediately. Honestly, who knows kids who play on seesaws more than once in their lives at this point?

yes okay but meanwhile they're wasting huge amounts of time, money and energy on the design features, thus reducing the number of them that can be produced

those trees are a cute novelty, nothing more

If people didn't support them, they wouldn't be getting produced at all.

It's stupid and illogical, but tell that to the public who will be up in arms over "SIGHT POLLUTION" and refuse to allow them to be installed if they didn't look just so.

The point is that the technology exists and somebody is making an effort to use it to combat our wastefulness. Sure it's not going about it in the most efficient way, but still. I mean god damn you guys are focusing on how the fucking things look.

we're saying we don't care what they look like, just as long as they get used at all and they work

we're lambasting the people who do care only about looks