Project Jenova
Sign in to follow this  
Gaiajack

LINK MOUND of Tales of Interest or whatever

Yeah, but yahoo did it the other day, so 500 times more people know about it now.

I'm not even going to follow that link. What the fuck? Would the woman end up being blamed for poor dietary and/or exercise habits, or something?

Maybe if substance abuse was killing the child, then there'd be something to make a case over, and maybe this is actually clarified in the article. Even so, fuck.

If you have questions then read the article.

This is one of those things that arises from the wording of a law and will never actually be used to kill someone for miscarrying. But yes, it is despicable. Let's hope it doesn't pass even though there's a good chance.

You should have followed the link, Deed. It only applies if the miscarriage is due to human intervention. So, if I understand correctly, if a doctor decides to sacrifice the life of a child to save the life of the mother, he can be convicted.

It's ridiculous that the proposed penalty is death, but otherwise this seems to me to be pretty much isomorphic to the euthanasia debate.

...does everyone understand what I mean by "isomorphic" because it's a usage of the term that I made up just now.

A woman in Iowa (I believe) was arrested last year after falling down a flight of stairs under suspected "attempted prenatal murder." She was the one that had gone into the hospital, because she was worried about the baby-- the EMTs that came to her after she fell down the stairs said there was no need. Once there she expressed concern for the baby and then confidentially told the nurse that she had originally thought of getting it aborted, because her husband left her when he found out she was pregnant, but had now changed her mind. The nurse told the doctor this, he called the police, and she was thrown in jail for several days.

She was only released because it turned out she was still in her second trimester, so the fetus didn't count yet.

This is one of those things that arises from the wording of a law and will never actually be used to kill someone for miscarrying.

Nope.

Yeah really this doesn't apply to me. If it turns out abortion is illegal and I can't force miscarriage I'll just kill the bitch and dump her ass in the middle of the fucking ocean. Eat up, sharks. That's how I roll, yo.

A woman in Iowa (I believe) was arrested last year after falling down a flight of stairs under suspected "attempted prenatal murder." She was the one that had gone into the hospital, because she was worried about the baby-- the EMTs that came to her after she fell down the stairs said there was no need. Once there she expressed concern for the baby and then confidentially told the nurse that she had originally thought of getting it aborted, because her husband left her when he found out she was pregnant, but had now changed her mind. The nurse told the doctor this, he called the police, and she was thrown in jail for several days.

She was only released because it turned out she was still in her second trimester, so the fetus didn't count yet.

Yes, because they suspected she had deliberately fallen down the stairs to kill the fetus. It's clear from the wording of the bill that not even the anti-abortion people are endorsing criminalizing a woman just because she lost a baby accidentally.

The problem is that these people are highly sensitive to the abortion issue and as a result are starting to see it everywhere.

Right, so, we can now suspect women of trying to kill babies when they fall down the stairs and call for an ambulance. This is a perfectly reasonable legal course of action. Throw those poor mothers that are suspected of getting in an accident on purpose in jail and let their kids flow into the foster system. Good stuff. I can't wait for the day when my fiancee gets in a car accident while pregnant and gets thrown in the jail for admitting she at one point was unsure about keeping the baby.

Maybe the point of putting illegality of miscarriage onto the bill is intentionally done specifically to generate controversy to the point that opponents of the bill will more readily accept a revised version minus that one detail. Basically, he maybe added for miscarriages to be effectively punishable by death so that opponents would be like, "Jesus, we'll consider the bill if you just get that part the fuck out of there".

It's not that he actually wants to illegalize miscarriages, but wants abortion to be banned and will throw that in there to stir up commotion in his favor.

• Upvote 1

Human Flesh Engines in China

pretty much means instead of a computer based search engine, you pose a question to a group of people online and they all work together to find the answer. It has since changed into a "revenge" engine, with people looking to embarrass or harass those who offend the internet communities, such as the woman who stomped a kitten to death with a high-heeled shoe. They also go after politicians and greedy people.

I think America could use a system like this. It would be great to see an American powered revenge engine seeking out corrupt politicians or business people. Or whoever else they decide to look for.

Nothing new, forum detectives/internet hate machine aka /b/, the misc, etc. Like the article says, the only differences are representation in the mainstream, which I would assume would be touchier given that I'm guessing people here are more litigious than our Chinese counterparts, and because of that the lack of common knowledge on the subject.

my friends and I used to debate the idea: what if everyone had the authority to put 1/50th of a person to death so long as they had good reason. that way, someone who enrage other people enough would have to worry about not getting all the way up to 50 people using their death hits on them. therefore it'd be kind of a warning system. plus, people would immediately start thinking about using their one hit on someone instead of immediately thinking about murdering or attacking them.

obviously a messed up idea that would require trials and stuff (otherwise marilyn manson and snookie would probably be dead) but I really like the idea of public backlash being an option for some things. totally sweet